- 2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large leeks (white part plus 1/3 of the green, diced)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried green lentils (picked over)
- ¼ cup barley
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes, chopped not using because they aren’t on my anti-inflammatory diet
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. fine chopped herbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sauté leeks, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes in large stock pot.
- Wash and drain lentils. Add lentils, barley and vegetable stock to soup pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45m-1 hr or until lentils and barley are cooked.
- Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, bay leaf, herbs, salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Add parsley and simmer another 5 minutes. Add parsley and simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings