Having a had time making your GF recipes like you’e used to? Can’t find (or afford!!) guar or xanthan gum? Or maybe it just doesn’t agree with your already sensitive digestive tact? Try some of these tips I’ve discovered since I started my GF lifestyle.
If your recipe calls for eggs
- separate the eggs
- beat the yolks into the mixture was usual
- beat the whites until stiff peaks form
- fold them into the mixture
The lightness of the eggs will give your recipes that less dense, fluffy texture.
If you recipe calls for guar gum or xanthan gum
- use double the amount of finely ground flax seed
- stir it into any of the liquids (oil, milk, etc) before mixing dry ingredients
- soak the mixture while mixing the dry ingredients (skipping the “gum”)
- 1 table spoon finely ground flax seed (per egg)
- 3 tablespoons water (per egg)
- stir (or blend) until thick and gelatinous
- use in place of egg in your recipe.