So, DH loves meat & potatoes.. who can blame him! I so sat down today with our traditional Shepherd’s Pie recipe today and broke it down to make it MyPP friendly. It came out amazing and makes HUGE portions!
My PP recipes will read like this in the ingredient list “Ingredient (total points plus score for that amount of ingredient)” so “1/4 cup nonfat sour cream (1)” means that there is one whole point in 1/4 cup fat free sour cream while “16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (12)” means that whole pound has 12 points. This way, you can break it down with a lower point ingredient if you need to meet your daily allowance.
- 2 large potatoes, approximately 1 pound after peeling, and cut into 2-inch pieces (11)
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream (1)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine (2)
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt (0)
- 1/4 c water (0)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (2)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots (0)
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, diced small, or use a ground poultry (12)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (2)
- Herbs to taste – Mrs. Dash, Tony’s, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, etc (0)
- 2 cups chicken broth (0)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes, transfer to a large bowl and add sour cream and margarine; mash until smooth, season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup water in a large skillet over medium-high heat. This will replace 2 points of oil for sauteing!!!
- Add onions and celery. Cook until soft, stirring. About 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch, herbs, salt and pepper; stir to coat.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer; simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer filling mixture to a baking dish (small rectangular or pie plate). I used an 11″ x 7″ Pyrex glass baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over top and using the back of a spoon, make decorative swirls over the top.
- Bake until potatoes are golden, about 30 minutes.
- Divide into 6 servings and serve with a salad!
My PP Break down:
- Approximate recipe points (30)
- Approximate PP per serving (5)