I have been looking at Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) as a natural way to help with some of my “ailments” from body aches & pains, migraines, and infertility. I came across a local practitioner in Cary, NC and have been talking to her about things to help without ever having met her. I plan on starting a Arvigo/Maya Abdominal Therapy Massage session with her in March.
In the mean time she suggested this diet for me in order to cleanse my body of toxins and to figure out what my triggers are.
I have made a transition to this diet and over the past two weeks I have felt AMAZING!! I splurged over the weekend going to Carolina Ale House to watch UFC, and I really felt a difference the next few days, so I’m really trying to stick by it.
Since I can’t get my hands on any free-range and/or grass-fed meats right now I’m going mostly vegan with an occasional 3oz of reg grilled chicken…. and I have my one mug of coffee a day.. hey.. a girl has to have her coffee!!!
Bonus: I’ve lost 5 lbs since I started it 12 days ago 🙂
The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
THIS DIET IS DESIGNED TO IMPROVE BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION AND DECREASE THE INFLAMMATORY PROCESSES WITHIN YOUR BODY THAT CONTRIBUTE TO CHRONIC DISEASE AND PAIN.
FOODS THAT INCREASE INFLAMMATION
• High: grain-fed beef, pork
• Moderate: cheese, egg yolk, skinless chicken, pork, turkey
• Least: grass-fed beef, wild game
Trans-fatty acids (partially hydrogenated oils)
• Why do they exist? Because they are solid at room temperature
• Found in crackers, cookies, chips, etc
Anything that increases Insulin
• Processed grains
FOOD THAT DECREASE INFLAMMATION
Cold Water Fish
• Wild-caught Salmon
• Rainbow Trout
• Flax Seeds
TRY TO EAT ONLY ORGANIC OR LOCALLY GROWN FOODS*
LIST OF FOODS TO EAT
Eat protein with EVERY meal!
Poach, bake, steam or broil deep sea ocean (vs. farmed) fish
• Summer Flounder
• Wild Pacific Salmon (No shellfish Shrimp, lobster, crab, clam)
Eat only the meat and not the skin of free-range or organically grown chicken, turkey: Bake, broil or steam
• Limit to 4oz, 3times/week
Eat a variety of any legumes that you are able to tolerate. Soak for 48-72 hours and cook slowly
• Split Peas
• Kidney Beans
• Pinto Beans
• Fermented Soy (tempeh or miso)
• Mung beans
• Garbanzo beans
• Adzuki beans
Seeds & Nuts
Seeds: Grind 2 Tbsp/day and add to cereal, smoothies, salads etc
• Nut & Seed butters
• Almond, cashew, sesame, etc
• Whole food nut & fruit bars
Eat a variety of any and all vegetables (except tomatoes and potatoes) that you can tolerate. Include at least one green vegetable daily. Aim to eat at least 5 servings/day. It is best to try and eat mostly the lower carbohydrate (3, 6%) vegetables.
• 3%- asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, swiss chard, cucumber, endive, lettuce, mustard greens, radish, spinach, watercress
• 6%- string beans, beets, brussel sprouts, chives, collards, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, onion, parsley, red pepper, pumpkin, rutabaga, turnip, zucchini
• 15%- artichoke, parsnip, green peas, squash, carrot
• 20%- yam
Add your favorite spices to enhance the taste of these yummy vegetables. Increase your intake of garlic, onions, leeks, ginger and turmeric.
Eat no more than 1-2cups of cooked grains per day of those that you tolerate, unless you have indications of high insulin levels such as overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. Allowed grains include:
• Brown Rice
Eat only 1 or 2 pieces/day of practically any fruit except citrus. Like vegetables, try to eat mostly the low carbohydrate fruits (3,6%).
• 3%- cantaloupe , rhubarb, strawberries, melons
• 6%- apricot, blackberries, cranberries, papaya, peach, plum, raspberries, kiwi
• 15%- apple, blueberries, cherries, grapes, mango, pear, pineapple, pomegranate
• 20%- banana, figs, prunes, any dried fruit
Use sparingly and ONLY with meals
• Raw honey
• Maple syrup
• Barley syrup
• Agave syrup
Absolutely NO sugar, NutraSweet or any other chemical sweetener.
For butter: mix together 1lb of butter & 1c of extra virgin olive oil. Whip at room temperature and store in the refrigerator.
Use extra virgin olive oil for all other situations requiring oil.
To add a delightful flavor to your food choices, add whatever spices you enjoy.
Drink a MINIMUM of 6-8 glasses of spring, bottled, filtered or reverse osmosis filtered water every day.
• 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day is the optimal amount SMALL amounts of soy, rice or oat milk are allowed ONLY on cooked grains or in cooking.
Foods to AVOID
• Milk: all animal milks
• Cheeses: all animal cheeses
• Commercial Eggs
• (organic OK)
• all products with wheat
• White flour
• Red meats
• Shell Fish (Shrimp, lobster, crab, clam)
•Night Shade Vegetables
•Potatoes: red and white
•All fruit Juices
•Teas with caffeine
• all products with corn
• Dried Fruits
• Fried Foods
• Soy: all products with soy